The Interpublic Group of Companies (NYSE:IPG) is one of the largest global providers of advertising and marketing solutions. Through more than 50,000 employees working across the world, IPG agencies specialise in consumer advertising creation and distribution, digital marketing, media buying, communications planning and public relations.
What are the roles?
We are recruiting 2 x In-house Legal Counsels to join our team at IPG, working with public relations and experiential agency groups: Weber Shandwick, GOLIN, Octagon and Jack Morton. Where no two days are the same, from flying celebrities over a lake. On a sofa. On a zip wire. Through to hosting talent contests on a cruise liner. Expect the unexpected! This role is perfect for someone already working in the entertainment, media or sports space BUT if you’re not and want to make a change – let us know what excites you about this opportunity!
The core of both roles is to independently provide expert, accurate and clear guidance and insight across all levels of these UK agencies, as well as responding remotely to similar requests for support from our agencies in EMEA and APAC – with greater emphasis on EMEA. You will business partner with all the London agencies but have a focus on one, either in public relations or perhaps you are more passionate about working in the sports, events and hospitality space.
We operate a hybrid working model with days together in the central London offices, time in-agency and the opportunity to work from home, although consistent feedback is that time in the office around colleagues is the best way of settling into the role. Regular trips to visit Jack Morton in west London will likely be required.
Key responsibilities will include:
- working alongside colleagues from across our diverse business to structure, draft and negotiate client contracts and scopes of service
- delivering and supervising others on talent, production, technology and other supplier agreements
- working on new business opportunities, reviewing confidentiality agreements and proposed contract terms
- raising, advising and seeking compliance with internal and external legal and regulatory requirements e.g. ABC, data privacy, IPG SP&P.
- assisting agency colleagues with issue management and client/vendor communications in the business affairs as well as legal space
- helping to analyse agency creative ideas to ensure compliance with legal requirements and providing solution led guidance on their subsequent delivery
- counselling agency management and supporting them in the formulation, preparation and implementation of improved business affairs and risk-management processes in agencies
- training on legal and business affairs issues
- collaborating intra-IPG and introducing and supporting agency staff when working with other IPG support services Finance, Risk, Insurance, Treasury, Travel etc.
- assisting with the management of trade mark and domain name portfolios across the regions
- assisting on data protection, litigation, property and other general legal matters as they arise
- liaising with external counsel as required
What kind of person are you?
Demonstrating a thorough knowledge of commercial contracts and IP law, you will ideally have high-end private practice or large corporate training in these areas. Some prior experience in the marketing, advertising and/or media sectors on issues such as marketing communications, talent/influencer engagement, content production, event staging or digital products and services preferred, together with a longstanding and demonstrable interest to work in this space. Experience of live and virtual experiential work and related technology and/or sponsorship activation/hospitality and their respective supply chains is welcomed for each role. For the experiential role prior exposure in the sports, music and entertainment sector and a desire to further specialise is sought. For the communications and marketing role a broader outlook is required, with an interest in public relations and media relations/crisis comms consultancy. Technology and/or music law experience particularly welcome. Fluency in one or more European language would be highly desirable.