The Corporate Counsel will be a key member of the EMEA Legal function, providing cross-regional internal legal support on a wide range of matters. The initial focus of this role is on the North region (comprising the UK, Ireland & the Nordics) but based on the Team’s harmonisation and shared services strategy the role will support other EMEA regions as needed.
The focus of the role will be general commercial contracts work with a particular emphasis on (i) public sector (and NHS in particular) tenders and strategy; and (ii) key supply chain contracts. The successful candidate will also be expected to provide advice including advising on a wide range of commercial contracts, compliance and regulatory issues and day to day claims and disputes.
Provision of ad-hoc advice on other legal matters (e.g. data privacy and competition law) will also be expected from time to time and the successful candidate should be keen to take an active role in the Team’s process improvement and automated legal solution strategy.
The Corporate Counsel will report to Regional Senior Corporate Counsel EMEA North and will work closely with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal team, as well as Division Counsel across all Thermo Fisher businesses, to provide high quality and comprehensive legal advice and assistance on EMEA matters. The Corporate Counsel will also work closely with other functions across EMEA, including Finance, Procurement, IP, Quality and Regulatory.
This role can be 100% remote working, or you can be based at our Paisley, Scotland site.
What will you do?
- Support review of high value government contracts and public tender opportunities and provide strategic guidance on risk;
- Draft various complex agreements for all parts of the organisation in support of their objectives, including sales agreements, strategic supply agreements, collaboration/joint venture agreements, IT agreements, co-marketing agreements; term sheets, etc
- Take an active role in the Team’s process improvement and automated legal solution strategy by participating and/or leading certain relevant Team projects
- Consult with other parts of the organisation on the interpretation of the agreements in effect or in development
- Educate and train employees on their obligations under the terms of various contracts and under applicable legal requirements
- Work with other members of the EMEA Legal team and the various divisions with a presence in EMEA to manage a wide range of commercial contracts, focussing on more complex agreements and covering a broad spectrum of operational business issues
- Work collaboratively with Division Counsel across all Groups and on various EMEA matters and initiatives
Who we are looking for:
- A qualified commercial lawyer in an EMEA jurisdiction (with preference in the UK or in one of the EMEA Nordics countries) with at least 5 years post qualification experience in a reputable law firm or within the industry.
- Strong experience in contract negotiation/drafting. A good working knowledge of contract law.
- Strong commercial awareness and business sense, with ability to navigate the various issues surrounding contracts, technology and corporate structure
- Able to fully engage with and influence business stakeholders across EMEA
- Fluency in English essential
- Additional language skills would be highly desirable
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue of approximately $40 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, increasing productivity in their laboratories, improving patient health through diagnostics or the development and manufacture of life-changing therapies, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 100,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services, Patheon and PPD. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.