- Based at our Waurn Ponds Campus
- Full time, Fixed Term for 12 months
- Level A, commencing from $71,348 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The Associate Research Fellow is responsible for researching and publishing in one or more areas of artificial intelligence, machine learning, data analytics, internet of things and cyber security. They will work with a team of researchers in an externally funded project related to data mining and machine learning. The position supports the school research centres by publishing in top-tier avenues and developing high quality research grant applications. The ideal candidate for the position has a strong background in machine learning, deep learning, statistics, and programming.
The Associate Research Fellow will require the capacity to develop machine/deep learning models to extract patterns from heterogeneous and multimodal data. You will need to be adept in a programming language, ideally Python, but an equivalent would augur well for success.
Your key responsibilities will include the requirement to:
- Conduct high-quality research, scholarship and creative activities generating high impact outputs, with mentorship
- Engage collaboratively to participate in novel and high-quality research or creative activities
- Communicate outputs, including as part of team
- Ensure impact of academic activity on the field and the community
- Support and may lead applications for funding for research and creative activities
- Begin building body of work and reputation and recognition for quality, excellence and impact
- Participate in intra- and inter-disciplinary research collaborations
- Build awareness of industry partners and participates in opportunities for research partnerships
- Support and may lead in applications for external competitive and other funding
- Begin to build track record of timely delivery of outcomes for industry partners
- Co-supervise honours to timely outcomes with productive high-quality outcomes
- Develop working relationship with mentors and supervisors
- Develop early career research plan with guidance from mentors and supervisors
- Adopt culture of research excellence, innovation and impact
- Build awareness of relevant industry partners and opportunities for HDRs/ECRs placements
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience
- emerging research and scholarship through publications, and/or exhibitions as appropriate to the discipline
- ability to make a contribution to communities through high impact research
- capacity to contribute to teaching, research and administration
- excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
- Ability to make a contribution to community engagement for research
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria by Monday 8 August.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Sunil Aryal via email@example.com
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the timing and funding for this opportunity, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions.
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.